DHA conducts periodic inspections of our properties whilst they are occupied.
We may also conduct other inspections from time to time, such as when we are organising the sale or valuation of the property, landlord inspections.
Strata & Body Corporate
If your property is in a building with a Strata or Body Corporate, you need to understand and comply with the rules or by-laws applicable to the scheme.
Existing swimming pools
If you select a property with a swimming pool, it is important that you are aware of the responsibilities associated with this.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- ensuring that all gates and doors to the pool area and surrounding grounds are kept securely closed and locked when not in use
- ensuring all warning notices are clearly visible
- ensuring items such as pot plants, chairs, boxes and play equipment that could be used to climb the barrier are not left within 1.2 metres
- the care and maintenance of the pool including the purchasing of chemicals
- ensuring all latches on the access gates and doors of the safety barrier are in good working order, and if found to be faulty, are reported immediately to DHA, and
- any local pool and spa legislation that applies in your area.
DHA responsibilities include:
- maintaining the safety barrier, access gates and doors to the pool area
- ensuring all prescribed warning notices are provided, and
- demonstrating the operation and maintenance requirements of the pool.
Families with special needs
We understand that some Defence families have family members with special needs and may require modifications to their property.
If this is the case for your family, your dependant(s) will need to have formal recognition by the Defence Member and Family Support Branch DMFS as a Dependant with Special Needs (DWSN).
You can apply for special modifications by contacting DMFS, who will assess the request and forward their recommendation to the Directorate of Relocations and Housing (DRH) within Defence for consideration. DRH will assess your requirement against PACMAN and supporting medical evidence.
For further information please see the Defence Special Needs Support Group (DSNSG) or visit the DSNSG website www.dsnsg.org.au to find your nearest coordinator.
Business from Home (BFH)
We support Defence families wherever practicable in the operation of a business from home. If you wish to operate a Business from Home, you must first apply through Online Services. Applicants must be a recognised dependent of a serving member.
Ongoing operation of the business must be in accordance with the requirements of all relevant authorities such as (but not limited to) DHA, the Owner’s Corporation and Government bodies. For more information, refer to Business from home | Defence Housing Australia (dha.gov.au)
The contribution rates applied to Defence Housing is set by Defence in accordance with the Defence Pay and Conditions Manual (PACMAN).
For more information on your contributions and entitlements, refer to PACMAN on the Defence website (www.defence.gov.au/dpe/pac).
Rent Contribution commences
The Rent Contribution commences from the day of your occupation in the property.
The contribution rate for water usage applied to Defence Housing is set by Defence in accordance with the Defence Pay and Conditions Manual (PACMAN).
This charge is nominated in the Residence Agreement.