Families with special needs

Policy relating to Service Residences (SR) is determined by the Department of Defence and is outlined on the ADF Pay and Conditions site.

We understand that some Defence families have family members with special needs. Special needs are defined by Defence and may include a physical, intellectual, or sensory disability, or a psychiatric illness or disorder. It can also include family members assessed as being gifted or talented.

When these needs affect your housing requirements, we take them into careful consideration to assist you in finding your housing solution.

Defence Member and Family Support Branch (DMFS) is the delegate for Recognition of Dependants with Special Needs and Assistance on Posting. DFMS will refer your request for special needs housing to the Directorate of Relocations and Housing (DRH) for consideration. Directorate of Relocations and Housing (DRH) will assess your requirement against PACMAN and supporting medical evidence. All special housing needs must be supported by medical evidence, from a specialist, or they can not be approved. You will receive email advice on DRH's decision. A copy of the email will be sent to DHA and the regional Defence Relocations and Housing Manager (DRHM) to assist you with your housing needs.

Please contact DFMS, through the Defence Family Helpline on 1800 624 608, for Recognition of Dependants with Special Needs and to apply for Assistance on Posting.

Couldn’t find the answer you were looking for?

If you need to get in contact with us, please submit an enquiry via Online Services. If you have an urgent enquiry, you can call us on 139 342.