Step 5: Vacate your property

As outlined in your Tenancy Agreement you must give us 28 days notice (or more) before you plan to move. If you don’t give us the required notice, you will be required to pay the equivalent of 28 days of rent, even if you are no longer living in the property.

If you wish to move to a new property within locality, you must submit a Notification of housing change form. You can download this from the Forms page.

Where it is necessary to break the lease for service reasons that are beyond your control and you are unable to give the mandatory 28 days notice (e.g. short notice posting), you are still required to submit the notification together with evidence of new posting.

If you have a removal at Commonwealth expense, submit your documents to Toll Transitions. To arrange this, call Toll Transitions on 1800 819 167. Toll Transitions will notify us of your vacation date. Following this, we will arrange for deductions of your contributions to stop in the Defence ADFPAY system.

If your removal is not at Commonwealth expense you must submit a Notification of housing change form to your local regional office (RO).

Pre-vacation Inspection

A Pre-vacation Inspection (PVI) occurs prior to you moving out. Your local RO will contact you to arrange a suitable time. It is a requirement that the Defence member is present at the PVI. This is so you understand the cleaning requirements for your property and any potential tenant charges.

You are required to attend this inspection. However if you are unavailable, please contact DHA on 139 342.

At your PVI, your Property Manager will:
  • Discuss your cleaning requirements
    When you move out it is your responsibility to ensure the property is cleaned to the required standard. Your Tenancy Agreement outlines these standards. You will also be responsible for the cost of professional carpet cleaning which you will need to arrange for the day following uplift. We can provide you with a list of recommended cleaners.
  • Identify non-fair wear-and-tear
    You will be responsible for repairing any damage to the property as a result of non-fair wear-and-tear. If you choose to have the repairs carried out by a DHA contractor, the cost of the repairs will be identified as a ‘tenant charge’ on the Inspection Condition Report (ICR).
  • Complete the Inspection Condition Report (ICR) with you
    The ICR identifies potential and/or tenant charges you may be responsible for. By signing the ICR you are acknowledging that all noted charges and information is correct. If you dispute some charges, this will be noted on the ICR as a Tenant Dispute. Request a MCA Details of Dispute form from your Property Manager and submit the completed form to your local RO.
  • Address any concerns you may have with vacating the property
    Please take this opportunity to raise any concerns you may have.

How it works