Moving out of Member choice accommodation

Policy relating to Member choice accommodation (MCA) is determined by the Department of Defence and is outlined on the ADF Pay and Conditions site.

Submit an enquiry via Online Services to advise the date you are moving and why you are moving.

If you will not require DHA's assistance to provide another housing solution, complete the MCA Clearance Form. Submit completed forms in an Online Enquiry via Online Services. For example, you would complete this form if you are moving to your own home; relocation as a Defence Civilian, you are Foreign Defence Exchange personnel or Philanthropic personnel' or you are going on an overseas posting.

You must give us 28 days notice or more if you plan to move out of your MCA. Please provide reasons where you are not able to provide 28 days notice.

A pre-vacation inspection (PVI) occurs prior to you moving out. Defence Housing Australia will contact you to arrange a suitable time.

It is a requirement that the Defence member is present at the PVI so that you understand your obligations for maintenance and any potential tenant charges.

If you are unable to attend your PVI, you may appoint someone to attend on your behalf. This person may be your partner or a representative. Login to Online Services today to appoint an agent.

Agents can be appointed under 'Your current tenancy details' or 'My Account' in Online Services

At your PVI, your property manager will:

Discuss your cleaning requirements

Before you move out, you must clean the property to the required standard. Your tenancy agreement explains the standard.

You must also organise professional carpet cleaning for the day after your furniture is removed.

We can provide a list of recommended cleaners.

Identify non-fair wear and tear

You must repair any damage to the property from non-fair wear and tear.

You may ask us to organise repairs through one of our contractors. If you do, the charge of the repairs will be listed as a ‘tenant charge’ on the Inspection Condition Report.

Complete the Inspection Condition Report (ICR) with you

The ICR identifies potential and/or tenant charges you may be responsible for. By signing the ICR you are acknowledging that all noted charges and information is correct.

If you dispute some of the charges, we'll note this on the ICR as a 'tenant disputed charge'. Your property manager will provide you with a Details of Dispute form and you will need to complete this form and submit it to your property manager within 5 working days.

Address any concerns

Your PVI is an opportunity to ask questions, or raise any concerns.

You can also submit an enquiry via Online Services.

Current serving members are able to access their present and past tenancy history to produce a tenant reference via their Online Services account.

Once logged in, click on the Tenant Reference Letter button at the bottom of the dashboard.

You can also download a PDF of the reference letter to keep on file and email as required, without needing to log in to online services.

Couldn’t find the answer you were looking for?

If you need to get in contact with us, please submit an enquiry via Online Services.
If you have an urgent enquiry, you can call us on 139 342.