Your maintenance responsibilities

DHA Residence Agreement

Under the terms of your DHA Residence Agreement (DRA) you must notify us of any damage, defects or deterioration to the property. Early notification will help us to maintain the property in good condition during your tenancy. All routine maintenance requests are recorded and our policy is to respond to all requests within 28 days.

Wear and tear

We understand that over time there will be some deterioration due to the normal ageing process and use of the property. This deterioration is called ‘fair wear-and-tear’ (FWT). You will not be charged for repair of FWT.

Any damage from mistreatment or neglect (including pet damage) is considered non-fair wear-and-tear (NFWT). You will be charged for the repair of NFWT. Speak with your Property Manager to determine how the repairs will be made, the cost of the repairs and the payment method.

If you arrange or carry out any work on the property, it must be to a professional standard. This means to the standard carried out by a specialist licensed contractor. Any work on the property that is not at a professional standard will be identified as a tenant charge on your Inspection Condition Report (ICR).

Property item

Some Service Residences have existing swimming pools. In these properties, there are clear responsibilities for you and DHA. If you select a property with a swimming pool, it is important that you are aware of the responsibilities associated with this.

Your responsibilities include:

  • ensuring that all gates and doors to the pool area and surrounding grounds are kept securely closed and locked when not in use,
  • ensuring all warning notices are clearly visible and removed or not covered,
  • ensuring items such as pot plants, chairs, boxes and play equipment or any items that could be used to climb are not left within 1.2 metres of the barrier,
  • the care and maintenance of the pool including the purchasing of chemicals, filters and other equipment,
  • ensuring all latches on the access gates and doors of the safety barrier are in good working order, and if found to be faulty, are reported immediately to DHAon 139 342, and
  • ensure during tenancy that this is maintained.

Our responsibilities include:

  • maintaining the safety barrier, access gates and doors to the pool area,
  • ensuring all prescribed warning notices are provided,
  • recording the presence of unauthorised alterations and additions to swimming pools and fencing,
  • demonstrating the operation and maintenance requirements of the pool, and
  • a certificate of compliance is maintained as per local state or territory legislation requirements.

If you wish to install a swimming pool, read about modifying your service residence.

A swimming pool is defined in the Swimming Pools Act 1992 as an excavation, structure or vessel: that is capable of being filled with water to a depth of 300 millimetres or more; and that is solely or principally used, or that is designed, manufactured or adapted to be solely or principally used, for the purpose of swimming, wading, paddling or any other human aquatic activity.

This includes a spa pool but does not include anything declared by the regulations not to be a swimming pool for the purpose of the Act.

If you have not gained the necessary approvals, you are in breach of your DRA and will be asked to immediately reduce the volume of water to less than 300 millimetres depth until such approvals are obtained.

As the occupant, it is your responsibility to maintain smoke alarms. Regularly test, change batteries (if required), and keep them clean and dust free to ensure they are in good working order.

You should not deactivate a smoke alarm or interfere with its operation in any way. If it is identified that you have damaged or removed the smoke alarm, DHA will immediately arrange for the unit to be repaired or replaced and you will be tenant charged for the repair or replacement.

If you identify a fault, or the smoke alarm is not in working order, immediately notify DHA 139 342.

You are responsible for looking after the grounds, lawns and gardens of your property. This includes watering, weeding, fertilising, trimming of shrubs and the removal of garden waste.

You should be aware that:

  • it is your responsibility to source information regarding water restrictions
  • in areas of water restrictions, you are required to water during specified hours to keep lawns and gardens alive and maintained
  • in areas where there are total bans on watering, lawns and gardens are to be kept tidy and dead litter must be removed

You must remove any undergrowth that could be a potential fire hazard including dead vegetation and leaves. If there is significant undergrowth on a property that could make the property more susceptible to fire and you do not removed you will be tenant charged for removal of the material.

In most areas local councils supply bins to the property but the maintenance of these bins is your responsibility. If you need to replace a bin, you should contact the local council. Depending on the circumstances, you may be liable for the replacement costs levied by the local council.

Day-to-day control of pests is your responsibility. If you suspect a major infestation or plague movement, immediately notify DHA 139 342.

The presence of a small number of spiders, ants or cockroaches is  not regarded as infestations considered normal and The likelihood increases  if the property is located in close proximity to natural bushland.

If you detect termite activity at your property, immediately notify DHA 139 342.

Your responsibilities include:

  • Regularly clean your gutters
  • Keep mulch, debris, and firewood away from the property;
  • Trim all trees, bushes and other dense vegetation against the property;
  • Remove dead trees from the yard;
  • Prevent moisture build-up by repairing leaky taps and water lines;
  • Do not leave timber, cardboard or paper on the ground;
  • Do not leave timber, cardboard or paper on the ground;
  • Do not leave timber lying around the yard.

Submit a maintenance request

To submit an emergency maintenance request, please call us on 139 342.

Routine maintenance requests are to be submitted via Online Services.