On this page
HMAS Penguin is primarily a training base located in the suburb of Mosman, within 30 minutes’ drive to the Sydney CBD. The main entrance open 24 hours/day, is located on 7a Middle Head Road, Mosman.
Key collection and returns
Non-LEAP Accommodation Office
Address: Building 3, Trump Place
Business hours: 0730-1630, Monday-Friday
Phone: 02 9647 5503
A/H Phone: 02 9647 5556, or 02 9647 5567
- Keys can be collected after 1400 from the Accommodation Office.
- Keys can be collected after hours from the Yellow accommodation key box in the OOD office at the main entrance Guard House.
- March out inspections must be booked at least 3 days prior to departure.
- Keys to be returned with rooms vacated by 1000 to drop box located on the green entry door of the Accommodation Office Building 3.
- Inform the office of lost keys immediately. A cost will be incurred for replacement.
- Please contact the Officer of the Day on 0477 758 679 if an Emergency Room key is required.
A valid Defence pass is required to gain access to this base. Visiting Defence personnel should familiarise themselves with any additional security arrangements prior to arrival. Non-ADO personnel occupying LIA are required to have base approval prior to arrival. This includes members of foreign forces, minors, non-ADO visitors.
Vehicle pass applications are available from the NPC Office located in Building 3, near the Accommodation Office. Passes are to be displayed on the dashboard at all times.
- Transit (up to 21 days) - Rooms/Cabins provisioned with soap, toilet paper and towel (replenished and room/cabin cleaned every seven days)
- Permanent/Temporary (≥ 22 days) - You will need to bring your own toiletries, towel and clean your own room/cabin (excluding Duty Officer, Recruit or Cadet Accommodation).
For further information about your room/cabin, contact the base Accommodation Office. It is essential that you are aware of your LIA obligations in accordance with PACMAN, Annex 7.3.A: Licence to Live In.
DHA cannot take requests – contact Base XO for allocation.
Non-duty bookings attract a charge in accordance with Defence policy (FINMAN). Cost recovery will be initiated after key collection by the on-base Accommodation Office. Queries should be directed to the Accommodation Office.
Mess fees are levied by the local Mess Committees in recognition of amenities funded from non-public monies (e.g.: newspapers, Wi-Fi, etc). Mess fees are payable directly to local Mess staff as follows:
- Sir David Martin Mess: $5/night, up to a maximum of $25/stay
Handy phone numbers