Overview of the move-out cleaning standard
Cleaning standards have been agreed between DHA, the Department of Defence and Defence Families of Australia (DFA). Please note that you will be responsible for any associated costs for any extra cleaning if you have not met the required cleaning standard.
When you move out of your Service Residence it is your responsibility to ensure that it is cleaned to the required standard as detailed below. We will complete a thorough cleaning and maintenance check (including professionally steam cleaning the carpets) after your departure in preparation for the new tenants. Carpet cleaning charges will be automatically deducted from your salary. Recovery action of carpet cleaning and/or tenant charges for discharging members will take place immediately after the Inspection Condition Report (ICR) is signed. This will ensure any deductions will occur prior to discharge.
You need to pay particular attention to certain aspects of your final clean. For example, it is your responsibility to make sure the oven and grill have no burnt-on grease or carbon deposits. You also need to remove any mould, mildew or soap scum from bathrooms. After uplift you do not need to clean the area where your large appliances or pieces of furniture were placed during your tenancy.
General cleaning of outside areas: 1-2 weeks before uplift
You must ensure that:
- You continue to water all gardens and lawns until the day of uplift, subject to local water restrictions
- All garden beds, lawns and paths are weeded
- Shrubs and trees are trimmed back from the house, gutters, clothesline and pathways (if required)
- Lawns are mowed and the edges trimmed
- Garden clippings and house-hold rubbish are removed
- Wet grease and oil stains are to be cleaned off the driveway and parking areas
- Arrangements are made for the collection of any skips and trash packs etc
- Rubbish is removed and the bins are cleaned and secured in the garage or garden shed
- The residence and grounds are free from pest infestations stemming from pets
- The garage is swept out, and
- You clean all gutters that can be reached with a standard 1.8 metre step ladder (contact your local regional office for assistance with high set gutters).
General cleaning of internal rooms: 2-3 days before uplift
You are required to:
- Vacuum all carpeted floor areas
- Sweep and mop any non-carpeted floors
- Remove all rubbish from the Service Residence and surrounding grounds
- Clean heating and cooling filters
- Replace all blown light globes, and
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors and all remotes.
You do not need to re-clean the floors after your uplift.
As close as possible to your uplift, you are required to clean all wet areas thoroughly, removing mildew and soap scum. On the day of uplift you must ensure that the toilet and shower areas are clean.
You are required to remove food residue and grease from sinks, splashbacks and bench tops. The hot plates, oven, grill, range hood and filters must be cleaned before uplift to remove all burnt on deposits and grease. Place sink plugs under the sink to ensure they are not packed at uplift.
The Pre-Vacation Inspection cleaning standard is intended to be a reasonable starting point for us to prepare the property for the next tenant. Your Property Manager is available to discuss these cleaning standards with you at any time.
Self move - cleaning requirements
It’s important to know that when you’re relocating at your own expense as a Defence tenant you are not entitled to a Defence funded clean when vacating an SR and you are responsible for cleaning the residence to the Defence standard. This cleaning advice is not to be used when conducting a government funded removal, please refer to the Tenant Handbook (PDF 1.4MB) when this is occurring.
DHA will provide and offer you access to our contractors for cleaning if requested and you will be required to pay the full costs of the clean and any additional cleaning charges.
If you have any concerns or questions please ensure to discuss these matters with your Property Manager at the time of your Pre-vacation Inspection or contact 139 342.
View the Self move cleaning checklist to assist in the requirements needed when you have decided to conduct a self-move.